Costs & Financial Aid

The Master of Public Health in Community-Oriented Public Health Practice is a self-sustaining, fee-based degree program offered by the Department of Health Systems and Population Health in partnership with Continuum College.


COPHP students pay a flat quarterly course fee. They also pay other required fees each quarter, including registration, technology and U-PASS fees. Payment is due by the third Friday of the quarter.  

Cost per quarter (for up to 12 credits) $9,950
Total quarters 6
Estimated total course fees: $59,700*

*Estimate is based on 2021–2022 rates and does not include mandatory university fees, textbooks or expected annual fee increases. 

Financial Aid and Other Funding

Students in the COPHP program can apply for various forms of financial aid to help cover their educational costs, including federal financial aid, scholarships and loans. For more details, see the fee-based programs page of the Office of Student Financial Aid website and financial aid information from the Department of Health Systems and Population Health.

Fee-based students are not eligible for tuition exemptions or UW grants, including the Washington State Tuition Exemption and Husky Promise programs.

Scholarship Opportunities

COPHP students may apply for these awards to help offset their program expenses: 

*Students wishing to be considered for COPHP student scholarships (via the HSEED Award and Sigolene Ortega Fund) should apply during the Early Decision round of applications because award decisions will be made following the Early Decision deadline. Awards are allocated on a first come, first served basis, and all funds may be distributed prior to the Regular and Final Decision deadlines. 

Graduate Student Funding

Resources at the UW:

Resources outside the UW: 

  • Immigrants Rising provides a list of scholarships for undocumented students.
  • Peterson’s has a searchable database of scholarships, fellowships, grants and forgivable loans. 

Loan Forgiveness

COPHP grads who are employed at government or nonprofit organizations may qualify for loan forgiveness. For more information, see the Public Service Loan Forgiveness page on the Federal Student Aid website.